Originally Posted by master of none
It looks as though there are two issues. First, you want to use their testing results to learn more about your DS and how he learns best, and what his needs are. So, you want the full testing to allow you to do that.

Second, you notice that the current level of school work is not adequate for him. You are glad they pull off the top 1 or 2 percent, but you are worried that many kids are left behind without the level of instruction that they need.

To get your point across, I'd separate the two issues. If you know for sure what programing they have and that there isn't anything for kids like yours, I'd make that point with references from the literature about how kids change over time, how young kids from enriched environments leave other kids behind if the GT program isn't flexible with multiple entry points, etc. If you don't know for sure what there is, I'd ask how the programs work and what is available for kids like your DS.

That's a good observation about the two issues being conflated. I'm very concerned about coming across as THAT mom, pushy to get my kid labeled. It's the opposite of what I want.

There isn't any programming, that's the problem. This is intended to be the first year for the program. But they only identified ONE student -- not one per grade, just...ONE. In the entire district, kindergarten through twelfth grade. So there still isn't a "program" per se. Nor will there ever be, since they seem to think this is an acceptable outcome of their assessment process.

I guess I just need to let the whole thing drop. This has been a very frustrating experience, far more than I thought it would be, in more ways than I expected.