Both of mine sing when they concentrate, at least at home. They don't, as far as I know, sing at school, but DD's psych report mentions that she demonstrated excellent effort - and "hummed, sang and whistled" her way through the tasks. But that may be part of why they can focus better at home than school...

In another family, close friends of ours, both kids and father make a low humming noise when focused. The three together on task sound like a buzzing hive.

DS10 has another close friend, also gifted, who always hums when he works. His mother has always been deeply concerned about this in the classroom, but only one teacher so far has ever found it a problem - and she had serious other problems. This child has been DS's regular seatmate for most of the last six years, and other teachers have always told me it doesn't bother them and it doesn't bother the other kids.

So yeah - pretty common around here!

I would be cautious about trying to break your DD of this habit. It seems like singing or humming is an important focusing mechanism for quite a lot of the kids around us, in the same way that some kids need to be moving around in order to be able to think. If that seems to be the case for yours, it might be better to try and manage it rather than stop it. Perhaps gently help her be aware that she does it, so she will know what people are talking about if they complain. Try to come up with a pleasant, non-disturbing version of her singing that she can try increasingly to use at school. The only time I have seen kids even notice, never mind be disturbed by, a low hum is when the teacher started picking on it. And build this issue into your teacher requests or discussions: i.e. "we know DD sings when she thinks; please make sure she's matched with a teacher who wouldn't be fussed about this."

I write to the lovely accompaniment of song, as DD8 sits next to me building her new birthday lego.

ETA: Sleepover last night, DD now joined at Lego by one of above-mentioned friends. Her soundtrack now has a bass line.

Last edited by MichelleC; 12/14/14 06:52 AM. Reason: Expanding anecdote