Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
We live in a state that has virtually no homeschooling requirements. So, compliance is not an issue. They want DS's score to help the school. DS is not going to sit for 8+ hours for PARCC to help the school out. (And having just looked at the PARCC sample test, I don't blame him.) He will be doing MAP testing, which I consider to actually be valuable.

We sent in our refusal letter and haven't heard back.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a child who doesn't attend a school gets counted as a student of said school for standardized testing. I call shenanigans.

It's probably not shenanigans, it's probably just school administrators following state law. somewhere's ds attends the school part-time - I don't know about somewhere's state, but in our state all students who are attending any percentage of the school day participate in state testing, and if students don't participate the school is at risk of losing the funding based on that one student's attendance. That $ amount is going to be very low for one part-time student, but it's still an issue that schools (here) will press.

FWIW, (and maybe our state is just completely twisted), but as much as it might appear to be about having the high-scoring score counted for the school, the administrators I've dealt with in our school district aren't ever thinking that strategically - they just see it as compliance so they don't risk losing any state funding per student.

polarbear