What has worked for your children?

We homeschooled kindergarten and then double-skipped DD6 into the end of the third grade year. Virtual schooling, though-- so it wasn't as though the classroom executive demands took that same jump-- they did not. Well, not at that point, anyway-- later, the executive demand jumped even MORE than is typical. We also placed DD in GT coursework with that older cohort (mostly near-MG and MG).

Anyone successfully done a double grade-skip before 3rd grade?
See above, though it was NOT enough-- by the time DD was 7, we did it again by compacting 4th-5th into one year. And more or less again when she was 13, though we should have done it again at 12, maybe 11. DD15 is in college now. It's a balancing act between executive and output demands, and their cognitive need for higher/deeper material. I'll also note that "higher" =/= "deeper" necessarily, either. Secondary curriculum in N. America leaves a lot to be desired there at the moment, making acceleration in some respects a thing that makes the fit WORSE rather than better. I hate to say that, but in our experience, 8th through 11th grade coursework was a bust.

What would you recommend for us? Advice?

Well, I think that the thing to know most critically is that NO "school" setting is really intended for a child like this, and that "good" placements are largely: a) temporary at best, b) a matter of "good enough" or maybe even "least-worst" options, and c) a matter of a lot of behind-the-scenes advocacy on an ongoing basis.

It's so difficult to raise a child like this because they just don't fit in and they never will, and making the school system work for them is so difficult. It breaks my heart sometimes.

As noted, this is half the battle, knowing that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.