Originally Posted by TNC
We are in FL and are in the process of advocating for a whole grade acceleration from K to 1st for our DD5. We have been met with quite a bit of resistance and what appears from the outside to be administrators making arbitrary decisions. When we started the process for whole grade acceleration it was very clear the school didn't know what to do with the request. We have asked numerous times for clarification / documentation and have yet to be provided with much. On the flip side we have been asked to do a lot of waiting and "trusting the process" which I am beginning to believe does not exist, or is being put together just for our request. Does anyone have any BTDT advice for us?

My advice is to study the ACCEL law. Go into your school district and say specifically that you want to see every district policy paper they have in regards to their compliance with the ACCEL law. You are exercising the rights of your child to access what is promised in the ACCEL law and it needs to be done immediately.

You can read about it on the FL doe website searching gifted and ACCEL.

My point is keep saying ACCEL and read all the state and district info about it and insist that they follow it.

My son needed subject acceleration and the school just couldn't figure out the logistics I just kept saying yes he does. And so they offered a whole grade skip instead and we took it. Bringing up ACCEL was the magic key to the kingdom.