Since dd(8) was 6 years old she has been writing plays. In the past year she has gone on to not only writing them but planning them. She will pick a performance date, make advertisements, make lists, assign parts, type up the scripts and make copies for all the participants (even highlighting their lines), pick out costumes, etc.... This isn't just a one day effort on her part, she will usually spend 2-3 weeks on it. She will live, eat, and breathe whatever current play she is working on.... The writing isn't spectacular, nothing 'gifted' in my mind. However, the planning and the amount of effort she puts into it is what I find impressive.

The sad part is that none of her friends (neighbor kids her own age) have the stamina or interest to do something that is so involved and her plays usually end up fizzling out and she gets disappointed. Soon after though she'll get a new play idea and the process starts all over.

I've thought about finding a children's theater and signing her up for a musical, but her interest isn't really to be in the play. She loves planning and writing them. Any other ideas on how to nurture this gift of hers? And help her through the disappointment of her friends not sharing her interests?

ETA: I'm also curious, are neurotypical kids like this? Or is it a gifted thing to be so intense and passionate about something?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 11/17/14 06:32 AM.