By writing, I am referring to stories, personal narratives, etc. that he's asked to do in school, not penmanship.

DS8 really struggles when given a topic to write about. I don't think he spends enough time crafting a well thought out intro paragraph -- whenever I ask him about writing he's brought home, or what the teacher asked for, he tells me he is supposed to have written 5 paragraphs. He seems really hung up on that number!

Sometimes he will have a pretty good intro paragraph, but then the paragraphs that follow have absolutely nothing to do with the introduction (more like free writing).

...But in 4th grade I know his teacher is looking for more structured, organized writing than what he's showing. I have a parent conference in a week and I know the subject of writing is going to come up.

He's never shown a tremendous amount of interest in writing, and generally dislikes the topics given to write about at school, but when we homeschooled I had a box of prompts for him to choose from each day, and he never complained (and his writing was better then, actually).

We've begun using Grammar Town a few times a week after school, but so far it doesn't involve much writing (maybe later it will).

Question is -- should I even be worried about writing at his age??