http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/physical-behavior-of-introverts_n_6069438.html

Includes a synopsis of Susan Cain's work and that of some others (Brian Little and Melissa Dahl, for example) who have examined the differences between introversion and extraversion as personality constructs.

Interesting to me since such a high percentage of HG+ persons are introverted by nature, and also because some of those introversion quirks are very wrongly misinterpreted as social anxiety or other pathology when they are most definitely not.

The aisle/exit thing was fascinatingly accurate. The other one that I found amusing was the call screening-- I also have a peculiar quirk in that everyone who actually knows me understands that if I don't answer my phone, they MUST either e-mail or text me, not leave a voicemail. I don't use my VM at all. Never have. I ignore it. I do look at our answering machine on the land line, but not my VM. The people that I want to hear from understand this, though-- so it serves a call-screening purpose as well. grin

The easy distraction thing is so accurate. Unbelievably so. You put DD or myself either one in a setting where we are overwhelmed by HUMAN-sourced sensory inputs, and we look profoundly ADD. No joke.

Working alone-- even in a noisy environment-- and we look remarkably focused and well-regulated, however. It's a really strange thing. It's not classic hyperfocus, though we both USE hyperfocus deliberately when we're in one of those high-intensity settings, because it's the only way that we can get anything at all done. Enter a flow state and become one with the task and the rest of the world melts away, though.

The reflective versus absorptive "mood" aspect is also really ringing true for my family, at any rate. DH is very sensitive to people stuff that way-- if he's in a negative people-space for very long, he suffers terribly in his own affective responses. DD and I are more or less immune to that kind of mood contagion, though we find the emotional static of others to be something that we're extremely aware of all the time anyway-- sometimes it is bothersome, and sometimes we can ignore it. But just being in a room with grumpy people never makes ME grumpy, if that makes sense.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.