Originally Posted by greenlotus
Originally Posted by Cola
I am very interested in this as well. If ds gas horrific handwriting that affects not only taking notes but also showing math to the point he can't even read his own writing is that cause for concern?

This struck me - our DD9 has always had horrendous handwriting. She used to write so tiny that the teachers had to squint to read it. I have to consistently remind her to hold her pencil correctly. However, she is incredibly detailed and imaginative in her art. She illustrates all her stories usually using fine point markers. She writes a bit bigger now, but it's still hard to read any of her work. Whenever I read I feel my face scrunching up as I try to decipher the words. Is there a difference between drawing and handwriting? Her spelling is pretty awful as well, yet she jumps on misspelled words when she sees them in a homework sheet where she's supposed to circle them. If asked, she can write very nicely, but on her own, blaaah. I just looked at one of her lined homework sheets - the handwriting on that is clear. I just looked at a list of dysgraphia warning signs, and one was
•Trouble thinking of words to write.
DD writes all the live long day. That's her passion. So, bad spelling, horrible handwriting (unless really focused). Should we be concerned?
Letter formation is symbolic, where drawing is meaningful, concrete images. She can edit effectively when that's all she's doing, from what you're saying, but not necessarily when generating her own writing, so she does know how to spell, just doesn't apply it very consistently, or can't apply it and generate meaningful written language at the same time. It sounds like she has the basic skills (handwriting and spelling), but doesn't do well executing them and doing a higher-level language task at the same time. This scenario could have some dysgraphic elements to it, but I would probably look first to executive functions and even motivation. Does her handwriting bother her, or interfere with her legibility to herself or others?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...