You're right, this is a good topic to have a thread on. I'd also appreciate it if people post comments on their impressions of the "feel" of the various places, always bearing in mind that we're in public! I didn't know (much/had forgotten) about TAG* (thanks for the link: I just tried to subscribe to TAGMAX, haven't yet received the confirmation request). Others will know a lot more about WTM than I do; I have a general impression that it's a little less robust and a little more touchy feely than here.

The mumsnet forum is a small part of a very large site with forums on everything. The site prides itself (in contrast to its main competitor netmums, with which it shouldn't be confused!) on permitting robust debate, strong disagreement, and even bad language. Personal attacks do get promptly deleted when reported. I find the balance good myself though its general community is *so* representative as sometimes to be a little shocking to those of us who are more usually surrounded by relatively like minds :-) I tend to read rather than write, though that might change. The G&T subsection is currently small and low traffic. One should be aware that one of the commonest ways of using the site is to look at all recent posts, which means the people reading your posts on the G&T part aren't necessarily denizens of that part, and it can happen that people reply without realising where they are.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail