I tried to get him to learn to type without looking at the keys last year and he argued that his 20 wpm was fast enough for him. I wanted him to be able to get his thoughts on paper without having to think about each letter of each word like he was doing. I wasn't sure how much he could increase his speed because some people with motor dyspraxia have trouble with typing and speed has always been a problem for him in anything physical.

He decided he needed to increase his typing speed because he wants to get a job at Game Stop as soon as he is old enough, while he also attends college. I think our local Game Stop hires a lot of college students. He has a few years, since he is only 10, but he wants to work on these skills now, so he looked up the job requirements and found that typing is required. He also talked to his sister about a part time office job she had while going to school and she told him that she had to pass a 50 wpm typing test. That is his goal now--to get beyond 50 wpm.

He has also been working on cash register skills and he plays business simulation computer games.