I think we all catch ourselves being frustrated like this sometimes. My DD should have rocked the Explore test Maths section (and in fact did for her age just not her grade as she has been skipped a year) but instead having been told to use a calculator by the proctor she struggled to make negative numbers on it to do simple calculations that she could have done mentally just fine.

All of the Maths on that test was well within her capabilities but she just lacked the 'exam technique' to just guess and move on after a certain interval per question had been exceeded and then circle back at the end. So she left half of the questions unanswered. I was actually quite upset at the time because I thought that she had let herself down.

Looking back on it, she had never taken a test like it before and had not been taught exam taking skills so it was an education in its own right. I had been fooled by her precocious intelligence and abilities into over estimating her executive functioning - duh. It is clear now in hindsight but it was absolutely not so clear in the moment.

Last edited by madeinuk; 11/02/14 03:50 PM.

Become what you are