We were advised to start teaching our ds to type right away when he was diagnosed (2nd grade) and to provide scribing for ds at school until he could type. We were also advised to try HWOT long enough to get ds' printing "as good as it will get" and then to move on. HWOT didn't work at all for ds - so we didn't try for more than a few weeks. Our ds did benefit from handwriting OT and made good gains there in terms of legibility, pencil pressure, posture, easing wrist pain - so that was all good.

The reality of dysgraphia though is - we were told from the very start that our ds would never be able to rely on handwriting to show his knowledge, and that prediction has proved to be true over and over and over again. As soon as he was a little older and able to explain what dysgraphia is like (from his perspective) he's been very clear - he has to think through how to form a letter *every* time he writes it. He will tell you numbers are "easier" because there are only 10, not 26, to remember. He learned how to write a really nice-looking cursive script in 4th and 5th grade, when he class practiced cursive every single day. He went on summer break after 5th, came back to 6th grade in the fall, and couldn't remember how to write *anything* in cursive other than his name. Today, when he has to sign his name, he still practices it before he writes it down where he's supposed to sign, just to be sure he writes it correctly. FWIW, my ds is not about to turn 15. He's a teenager - but he still will describe what it's like to use handwriting as "I have to remember how to make the letter…." etc.

So my opinion is of course biased, having only worked with my ds, but jmo, for a dysgraphic child - I'd drop the handwriting practice now - you've obviously given it a really good try and it's obvious your child is not making gains with it. Keyboarding practice should begin asap whether or not you continue with the handwriting lessons.

Life with a disability such as dysgraphia can be frustrating for a child, and I think it helps to frame decisions such as this (giving up the handwriting practice) with a look at - how much time is it taking up, and what is my child giving up in order to sink time into the remediation? Giving my ds an opportunity to work on things he was really *good* at and could enjoy were equally, if not perhaps *more* important when he was in early elementary school. Having an LD, being "different" from other kids - all of that can really eat away at self-confidence. OTOH, if you can give a child an accommodation such as a keyboard that will help them stay afloat in class, while also giving them the chance to be truly successful at something they enjoy and are strong in - you're giving them a chance to build self-confidence - and when a child has an LD, they typically can really benefit from an extra boost of self-confidence.

Just my 2 cents (+ a few extra cents lol!) -

Best wishes,

polarbear