Not really sure if thats the right title but here's what I'm wondering.

What's the way people usually approach re-testing? Do you share the former scores with a new tester? Does a tester having previous scores make a difference - either positive or negative? I''m guessing it really depends on the circumstances.

We recently re tested DS 8 as part of a multi disciplinary assessment which included iq testing, prior to medicating for ADHD - we just wanted to ensure we'd covered of all possibilities before we took the step to medicate. We had tested him at 4 on the WPPSI with results in the 150s. As part of the testing we supplied those results. As often happens those results got lost somewhere in the process and when DS went in for his assessment they didn't realize he'd been previously tested. The neurophys to his credit, without the testing results just the achievement results from school reports etc and the consult with my son, immediately floated the idea of him being gifted and not challenged enough.

The psych tested him with no background. His results came back in the mid 130s, big lag in PSI, surprise, surprise, with the psych saying he thought the results were highly likely to be an underestimate given his level of distraction while testing and their general interaction. When the earlier WPPSI results were found later that day the entire team agreed they were probably more indicative of his potential and our final report reflects that.

As a result of that I've been wondering how that process may have been different if they'd had the earlier results up front - funnily enough I felt more confident in their assessment because they reached their conclusions without the earlier results, KWIM. It actually turned out really well for us.

More generally it made me wonder if how people approach re testing makes a difference, can introduce unintended biases etc. If you're re testing due to concerns with earlier testing to you declare that upfront? Does a psych having earlier results - high or low - change their approach? etc.

Edited to add: are you required to disclose you've had previous testing? If not officially required do you have an ethical or moral obligation to do so?

Last edited by freya; 10/26/14 06:16 PM.