Hi
My DS6 is in grade 1. I am puzzled by his reading abilities and wondering if anybody has any insight...

He has been able to read since before junior kindergarten (at the observation day that year we watched as he read a picture book more quickly than the SK kids in the teacher-led reading group).

He _can_ read and understand passages that are well above his grade level (not sure what the ceiling is but at least grade 4 I would think). However he still resists reading longer text and struggles with reading out loud. When I have him read a longer text to me, it seems to me that he gets lost on the page; he loses his spot constantly and has to re-find it.

Although he is interested in chapter books he prefers being read to. He sometimes seems OK with comics, or books with shorter passages and bigger text but mostly he asks me to read these to him as well.

His class is currently using a program called Raz-kids for reading practice. He asked his teacher to put him at level 'Q' (which is grade 3 level), which, again, he can read the words (only a few he didn't know because of not encountering before) but he gets discouraged and gives up quickly.

We have had his eyes tested this year and everything is normal. He doesn't complain about his eyes hurting or being sore. But he does seem to to better with larger text.

My DD9 never had this issue, but I think reading is her 'superpower' - she reads faster than I do - so maybe not a good comparison.

I am wondering if this is a developmental thing and he will improve his stamina and reading ability over time? Or should we be concerned/have him assessed?