Hi - My son is just 10 and very interested in WWI and, particularly WWII. He's an advanced reader, and can handle lengthy texts, as well as mature texts; however he's still 10. :-)

I did a quick search on here to see if any book suggestions popped up and didn't see any (please excuse me if I missed an obvious thread on this!!). I did notice, however, that the themes and interest are common, and I caught a note about gifted kids being very interested in and concerned by the justice aspect of the holocaust. I am not entirely sure what he's most interested in about WWII, I'm guessing the justice/holocaust is the primary angle.

What I'm looking for are a couple of good non-fiction resources that give a quality overview of the issues and timeline, then some things that delve deeper (or if all that exists in one book, even better!). I'd also love to provide him with some additional reading, historical fiction or things like Anne Frank's diary (although I just noticed another post about the fact that it goes into detail about things like getting her period - not that he's not "up to that" or ok with that, just more that it might cause him to lose interest and decide its not for him; which makes me think it might be better to hold off on that one? opinions welcome!). One book I'd looked at that I thought he'd like was Code Talker. Thoughts on that one? (I haven't read it, but would like to!)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Pinecroft; 10/14/14 08:52 AM.