Having had my hand in a cast fairly recently for a broken thumb that required surgery, I agree with the above sentiment. I honestly tried to write with my left hand but I am so strongly right handed it took a LOT of effort. I don't see any harm in having him work on writing with his left hand but I don't think that it would necessary help his disgraphia. What I found that I did get better with my left hand the more I used it on something (fork, doorknobs etc.) and that it is possible to train the other hand. It just takes a lot of time and practice. Since I don't have to hand write anywhere as much a student in school I ended up just finding ways avoid it. Instead I typed everything I could, texted, or had my son fill out forms for me. The only think I "wrote" was signing my name for about 2 months.

For your son my suggestion is anything he need to write beyond a word or two he should be allowed to use a keyboard or have a scribe. But nothing wrong with practicing to write his name or single digits, as long as the teacher isn't too picky how they end up looking. Another good option for something short where the keyboard would be cumbersome might be stamps, stickers or letter/number tiles.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/13/14 04:28 PM.