BenjaminL - I've read that AOPS article, and I love it. I am 100% in agreement with being organized. And showing work where it helps to have the steps written down. I am all for it then.

But 20-12 has to be mental math at some point, right? Surely by 4th grade!

Quantum2003 - I had my son tack on the results on both sides of the equation/inequality sign so that when he returns it to school this week, his teacher will see I did reinforce the "showing your work" directive... even though in this case, I think it is absurd, and a waste of time.

mecreature - I agree! I sometimes look at his homework and I am dumbfounded as to what it is that they want him to do. Each week for his "Word Study" for example, he is asked to sort the words (e.g. same prefix), and then he is supposed to write what he learned. Every single week it is a struggle. DS: "But I didn't learn anything. I already knew these words!" So I tell him to write what he "observed" instead.

Zen Scanner - "I've also told DS that breaking problems into smaller steps is a way to explain problems to people who don't understand math the way he does." YES. Going to do this. Thanks!