Back from the meeting. I think it was mostly successful although I they didn't agree to all the accommodations I wanted they came up with others that were good. No problem is getting a 504, we decided that since I wasn't asking the school for remediation this was sufficient. I have signed the forms to start the process but the paperwork hasn't been completed so accommodations could still be negotiated.

No problem with extra time for in-class writing activities, they have a detailed plan where for in class English essays he will be expected to spend that "extra" time doing a prewriting activity, and then get the regular amount of time to do the actual writing. This seems a good plan because extra time can just mean he spins longer.

Main accommodation I didn't get was the grades are only based mostly assessments, vs. seatwork/homework. They didn't say it was out of the question, but that they wanted to try other strategies first. The class where this is most critical is Chemistry where he is currently failing. Assessments are at 85%, homework is a big fat 0 at this point. He will be required to do a homework contract with this teacher for the next 6 weeks. This is required because he is failing. Because this teacher is known to have problems with organization, this is as much for my benefit. I didn't know how critically bad it was until this week since the teacher hadn't updated anything.

No social skills class at this point, he is not interested. And the fact that he is in marching band and robotics club make both I & the psychologist comfortable that he is working these things through on his own. And he does see the outside psychologist.

They were happy to include the keyboarding for in-class essays but my son doesn't think it's necessary and is resisting that accommodation.

All in all.. I think I am overall lucky. I really like the current high school psychologist. (Hated the one who was there when my daughter was in H.S.) They are willing to put in a 504 for a kid who mostly isn't failing but underperforming. They were very happy with the outside report I provided them. They seem to "get" what the issues are better at this meeting. Most of his teachers seem to have taken the time to get to know him (despite 40+ kids in a class) and realize he is quite bright. This meeting hopefully now makes them all aware of his issues particularly the anxiety that sometimes cripples him. The Chemistry teacher whom I am the most frustrated with does seem to KNOW her material, my son likes her and the psychologist & counselor claim she is very compliant with other kids who have 504's.

Crossing my fingers this helps.. We still aren't where we need to be. And it takes his COMPLIANCE and the older his compliance is becoming more and more of an issue. Guess I'm hanging over his head that if he fails Chemistry he retakes it this summer instead of going to camp.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/10/14 10:11 AM.