Originally Posted by Val
[quote=Zen Scanner]

We return to MAY-truh-seez on page 79 and then meet them again on pages 394-5. Brown and Dolciani discuss them in depth in subsequent books. Rusczyk has a single problem about them on page 154 and a discussion of them on the next two pages. IMO, it's nice information but is maybe too much for someone who's supposed to be learning about solving systems of equations for the first time. But this is very different from the school's book's florid case of ADHD.

5. I look at layout. Is it easy to find my way? Do I know where I am? Brown wins hands down here. Sections always start on a new page and are clearly marked. The beginning and end of each set of problems is easy to see. Etc. Dolciani is second, with the school's book and Rusczyk coming in way below them. The school's book is just too full of distractions and is therefore beyond hope in this regard, whereas the Rusczyk book just needs (serious) help from usability guy and a typesetting/reformatting chick.

Okay, that was really detailed.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Val it is very helpful information.

In fairness, I think that the Rusczyk book expects someone to have worked through a rigorous pre-algebra class before encountering that book. My DD will start their Algebra I class which uses this book (first half) later in October following on for the pre-Algebra class. I suspect (I don't have the book in front of me right now) that the matrices bit is in the latter half of the book and is it is advised that more Number Theory and Counting & Probability (introductory) are completed first prior to tackling the second half of the book which is their Algebra II class.

I am impressed with their pre-Algebra classes and their ability to hold my DD's 9 year ild attention and keep her engaged. I will report back on how the Algebra I class worked out in late Feb of next year.

I may have see if I can dig out an old Dolciani too...

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/29/14 04:07 AM.

Become what you are