My DS is 5 1/2 and has had all the indications that he is highlty gifted since he was an infant. I would have bet money his IQ would come out between 135 and 145 - and this is based on much reading and research and comparing.

He has sensory, coordination, and emotional issues however. I have been questioning for years whether he was on the Autism spectrum(Asperger's)or if what I was seeing was the typical overexcitabilities of a gifted kid.

I finally had an official ASD eval done by a psychologist. There was and hour and a half history interview with me (DS was there too) and then 1 hour of IQ testing on the SB V without me in the room. The psychologist reports that DS was cooperative so she believes the results were valid. All of his IQ scores were substantially lower than what I would have guessed based on his achievements - starting kindergarten reading 4 grade levels ahead, math 2 grade levels ahead, very interested in science and knows so much about so many different things. He is also driven to learn.

The based on the history interview and his IQ scores, DS was given a mild to moderate ASD diagnosis. If the IQ scores are accurate, then DS isn't gifted at after all. I can't quite believe that. Can anyone tell me what this profile could mean as far as what his learning style may be, and why I'm seeing such advanced achievement that the scores don't support?

Thanks!

SB-V scaled scores

Fluid Reasoning Non-verbal 12 Verbal 12
Knowledge Non-verbal 10 Verbal 14
Quantitative Reasoning NV 11 Verbal 14
Visual Spatial Processing NV 13 Verbal 12
Working Memory NV 10 Verbal 17

SB-V IQ scores

Non-Verbal 108
Verbal 124
Full Scale 116
Fluid Reasoning 112