DS6 feels it is wrong to kill a bug for fun. He has no problem with his insect eating pets killing bugs. He has no problem fishing and eating his catch. He isn't a vegetarian. He has a HUGE problem with squishing bugs for fun. He will get outraged and start crying if a kid does this in front of him AND people act like it is fine.

How do I deal with this?

Today a kid did this on purpose to get him upset. DS told on him. The kid said the ant bit him. DS says he was lying because he saw the ant and it was crawling with its head up. DS started crying and had to sit out at recess.

This is a pretty close transcript of our conversation - mind you I don't have all the answers and probably mess up a lot. And I was driving. In traffic.

Me: Use words next time.
Three second silence
DS: Fine. Since no one was there to see the ant NOT bite him, I'll just say he kicked me. I'll scream and hold my leg. I'll lie right back at him and at least he'll get punished even if it is for something different.

Me: Not exactly what I had in mind. You know lying is wrong.

DS: Well, killing innocent creatures is worse.

Me: glare

DS: Fine, I want to go to a different school.

Me: Why?

DS: I want to go to a school that will punish kids who kill innocent creatures for fun. I can't continue to see this happen. It is horrible.

Me: The world is full of jerks, you can't avoid them.

DS: I said new school, not new planet.

Me: Maybe you could talk to your teachers about how upset it makes you. I get why it bothers you and I am glad you feel this way but freaking out doesn't help you make a point. It makes people think you are a baby. You have to hold it together when you get sad and angry or all people see and hear is a crying six year old.

Ugh. Feeling bad about this and not sure what to do. People squish bugs. I get why he does not like it but geez it can't be a deal breaker. Am I being insensitive? If I were a PETA mom, I'd be all over his sensitivity.

Thoughts?

Last edited by KJP; 09/11/14 09:04 PM.