Originally Posted by Madoosa
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
"He's nuts about math."
and
"The sooner he gets rich, the sooner I can retire."
and
"I'm not sure, but it has something do with his plans to take over the world."

But we've never really encountered nosy doubters. I'm pretty sure if I do, the first reaction will be to stare intently at them like antennae have sprouted from their head.

HAHA I really laughed out loud at these smile thank you!!

Back on topic - we have taught Aiden (7) to say "I'm homeschooled so I don't really have a specific grade" If they ask further he says "I work on different levels for different subjects"
If they ask further he directs them to me with a polite "My mom is there, you are welcome to chat to her if you need further clarity". If it's a child still asking he will drag them to me, introduce them and then walk off.

We had to work together he and I to come up with these answer strategies. He was getting stressed out with people not believing him, calling him a liar etc. And it's bizzarre for him because we don't do a set curriculum. He takes his "grade" cues from his Dreambox dashboard, the literacy workbook he is doing at the time or if he finds a series of something to study online they usually have a grade attached.

Now he is very careful of what he says to whom. And when they ask for specifics of what he is learning he finds it easier to say something non-academic, eg "tying my shoelaces, or to knit, to iron my own clothes, keep my room tidy etc.

Most people asking what grade your child is in are just kindly adults using it as a conversational gambit, like Elizabeth said. You could answer with "I'm seven" and it would suffice.

My kids know that "grade levels" on ixl or khan or math textbooks are just a guide for a certain collection of stuff, not an indicator of what grade the person using/doing them is in. You could tell your son this, that everyone does what's appropriate for them in each subject at any given time, but that second grade is just another way of saying seven years old to strangers.

Last edited by Tallulah; 09/11/14 11:41 AM.