Thanks so much, everyone, for the advice and support. It's comforting to know that other gifted kids do the same things -- sometimes I thought I was going crazy because I knew I had seen her do something and suddenly she "couldn't" do it.

The public schools in our area are not an option -- weren't an option even before we realized she was gifted. There is a nearby school solely for gifted kids, K-8, that looks amazing. Insanely expensive, of course, and requires testing for entrance. That's what got me thinking about it -- otherwise I wouldn't worry about testing at this age.

We don't push her on anything academic right now, but are working hard to keep her intellectually stimulated at home. She is a real discipline problem when she's bored, and the only preschool around here that seems like it could stimulate her is a Montessori that wants kids potty trained. She refuses to potty train (though she's clearly capable of it) and we aren't interested in making that a battle. So for now, it's basically homeschooled preschool.

I am considering the possibility that she would need homeschooling for a longer period of time, but my husband really wants her in a school environment for the socialization. Also, homeschooling would be challenging since we both work full-time (although I am an independent consultant, so I could adjust my hours somewhat).

Anyway, it's so great to have other people to talk to who "get" it. I'm worn out by conversations with other friends who look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain why the methods they use with their kids just don't work with mine.... Thank you!