Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I suspect that eventually, this will morph again once it becomes clearer what it means to turn higher ed over to an army of adjuncts living as gypsy nomads moving from one ivory tower to another... She'd be a natural-- and probably GREAT at every aspect of that job. But it's probably not to be.

That's another good point about adjuncts. Their schedules look something like this: teach class at school at from 9-11 MW. Drive 20 miles to college B to teach class from 12:30 to 1:30 MW and teach lab from 2-5 TTh. Drive 15 miles east to college to teach evening class from 6-9 TTh and try to survive on vending machine food until 10 on those nights. frown. We're destroying education in this country is a myriad of ways.

I had a good friend who was a history professor when I was a grad student in the very early 90s. He used to talk about how good he had it in academia: he got to do research, publish papers on ideas that he found interesting, and discuss his field at conferences. He would write/grade questions for the A-levels, and his questions always asked the students to think. It was the same when he taught. He told me recently that a lot of that has changed. In particular, industrial metrics are taking over in many areas.