DS6 (now in first) tested for gifted by IQ last year after going through testing because of a concern of a LD. No LD was found at that time but we are still pursuing because of his young age and difficulties with writing and some residual concerns with reading.

My question pertains to his school and their gifted program. Last year, because we pursued testing privately (not prompted by the school to evaluate for gifted), they had him placed in the pull out program in his school for this year. They have a reading and a math program, and students can do one or the other, but not both. He was placed in reading despite all the concerns of a LD. His teacher last year didn't think he should be in gifted, but "if she HAD to pick, it would be reading". The objection against the math program was mostly because he didn't answer math questions with 100% accuracy despite knowing the material.

So, after two weeks, he's really struggling in the gifted pull out reading program. Basically it's supposed to be independent research based reading, plus it seems they write about it. Writing is usually a show-stopper for DS, but he'll talk all about it! And reading is on level for his age but not fluent. And he isn't reading chapter books "like the other kids in the class".

I really pushed to switch to the math gifted program but was basically stone-walled and got nowhere.

I'm very conflicted. I want him to receive services because he is intelligent. Is math his favorite subject? No. Could he excel beyond the easy first grade curriculum? Likely yes, I think, but I don't push math at home. Do I want to pressure him and be a tiger mom? No.

But I feel like they didn't want to even try to put him in the math class because of what a teacher last year said, based on the school's drill and kill worksheets and him missing a couple questions and not getting every single answer correct. He also doesn't "live for math" like the math gifted kids.

There are compelling reasons to not necessarily place him. He is young (just turned 6 and starting first), plus the academics are good-ish for a public school. There tend to be a lot of red-shirted kids there too, so it's almost as if he skipped a grade just based on age and logistics of the school. But I know he wasn't challenged at all in math last year, and I think the teacher was biased because of his difficulties. We still have more testing to do as he has gotten older and I think the discrepancies are worsening. And now that his is 6, he can do a regular test with achievement as well vs. the younger age tests.

Anyway, this all boils down to my question of the day. Would you push for math services? Give your young child more time to mature (he's not yet complaining of class being boring but says math is easy when I question him directly)? Wait for more information after repeat testing, especially if he may need services he cannot get now? Should I after school math to make sure he actually learns something this year in math? Last year we were so focused on remediation I had to drop all math instruction, but I could easily just let him do dream box or something like that.

If I wait, what if he never "lives for math"? What kind of indicator is that anyway?

Sorry, I'm just frustrated and feel like I failed as my child's advocate. And now I'm second guessing the whole thing as I know I can force him to be in the math gifted by law since he qualifies. Right?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by Displaced; 08/29/14 02:24 PM.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.