What is your budget? If you can get small laptop vs. a tablet. Tablets are great entertainment devices IMO, but not that great for creating content although they are getting better. You at least need a keyboard. Other than that are your a PC or Mac household? For making movies, the software for Mac's are still better IMO. I tried a chromebook and they are nice, BUT all data is kept in the cloud. But I like that it basically runs linux. But am personally very old school and don't like the idea of keeping ALL my data on the cloud.

When my DS15 was in 6th grade, the teacher tried an experiment where all the kids could bring in a iPad (they were brand new) or small netbook. I bought my son a small netbook, Windows machine. It worked OK for that year, but we had a lot of hardware problems with that machine and it was quite slow. To be honest, I found this exasperated some of my son's problems in school that year. Giving him more access to his own computer turned into a bit of a enforcement problem.