So, collecting some thoughts.

The books cost $50ish, while the courses are about $250 to $500, so cost is a consideration.

Some course follow a book, while some don't. For courses with a book, you still apparently have to read through the book and work on problems, just as you would if you were working just through the book, so the class gives interactive reinforcement of the book work you have done. (Is that right?) Also there's the question of whether the pace is right, both during the live class, and also the week by week pace. I gather that the class can act as a pacesetter/motivator for a student who wouldn't have effectively worked through the book in the absence of a class. On the other hand, the fixed weekly schedule could clash with other plans and activities. Without the class you can work through the book at your own pace, not having to bother with fixed weekly appointments.

Another factor is parental expertise, and how much they need to outsource to the AoPS people.

Another factor is that you may be able to get accreditation from an AoPS class.

Another factor is whether you are homeschooling, or afterschooling/supplementing (though I'm not how that affects the decision).

ETA: I'm curious to hear about the Beast Academy books (which have no course). How are they for kids who are fairly strong (top few percent) in math, but who are not the supermathy math loving type?

Last edited by 22B; 08/02/14 05:50 PM.