Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
* sitting with my daughter in Driver's Education has been a wake-up call to me this way. I seriously cannot say what it is that I use as "landmarks" in positioning my vehicle. I do it holistically within the first few minutes in ANY vehicle-- and so does my DD. Yet she's going to be required to approach it algorithmically for the course. This may not go well-- her processing and retrieval speed for the algorithmic approach is unsafe. FAR far better to not have her thinking about that as a distraction. But what do I know, right?? This is precisely the kind of task that she has to briefly explain to her subconscious before turning it over-- and if you prevent that from taking place by insisting on conscious, deliberate processing, you just cut the SPEED of that processing by at least 80%. :disappointed:
I'm confused I don't think the school I hired to teach driving teaches using landmarks to "position" the vehicle. My DS just took the first step towards learning to drive. It's not a required step.. he can't get a permit for another 5 weeks. But he did a 2-day skills training with a a company that that teaches driving skill designed by race car drivers a week ago. Before they ever put a kid on a road, they drive them around a track and teach them to drive instinctively. They put them on a skid pad and make the car skid.

Driver's Ed.. is a boring class DS is taking online. That doesn't include any information on HOW to drive. It's mostly rules of the road, and lectures on drinking and driving, that kind of stuff.