Many thanks to those of you who confirmed that I wasn't crazy to be suspicious of DS4's WJ III reading results. In case you missed it, here are the scores:

Broad Reading 138
Letter-Word Identification 171
Reading Fluency 143
Passage Comprehension 147

Brief Reading 182
Letter-Word Identification 171
Passage Comprehension 147

I pressed the psychologist for an explanation, and she said that norms do not exist for these scores at his age (4.3 when he took the test), so the system can't give him a broad reading score higher than 138.

That, of course, makes no sense to me, especially since the system managed to give him a brief reading score of 182. I really can't see how we could get nearly a 50-point difference between brief reading and broad reading, and how the overall score and percentile (99) for broad reading is lower than all of the subtest scores and percentile (99.9, 99.8, and 99.9). Besides, how could anyone ever qualify for DYS if WJ III had no norms for this level of achievement?

DS4 is easily reading (and comprehending) on a mid-second grade level, and I was really hoping this score would help him qualify for DYS. I'll keep asking our tester for a better explanation, but I don't know if we're going to get much more explanation from her.

I've heard of this happening to other people--broad reading scores that are lower than all of the subscores. If anyone else in the same boat, would you be willing to share? If there are enough of us, I wonder if we could somehow get an explanation from the publisher.

Thanks!