Just because a gifted student is placed in the highest level group in their class (or even for their grade) doesn't mean that level is high enough for that student.

I agree with what everyone has said about differentiation - it doesn't truly exist for most of us and what little the teachers might do is not nearly enough. It is not the be all-end all solution. The same goes for gifted pull-outs. A gifted child is gifted all day, every day not just when they are allowed to do differentiated work or during their pull out.

I also agree with the statements that gifted students differ from the other student population in that they pick up on concepts quicker and they don't need to be subjected to mundane repetition.

I like this one from HK -

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
1. Don't assume that "high potential" = "high achievement."

You can't spot a gifted child by their ambition to please and great grades. They might not be the student considered "teacher's pet". They are not going to always be the ones with straight A's that turn their work in on time and then ask what else they can do. They are not always the ones with their hand in the air trying to get picked to give the answer. Basically, what most typical public school teachers think they know about being gifted and what they think a gifted student looks like is probably completely wrong. I bet they could spot an advanced student easy enough, but not a truly gifted student. With all that said, one last tip I would have would be to educate your educators!!!!! When a person is going to school to be a teacher, whatever meager (if any) training on gifted students and gifted education they receive is not adequate.