Originally Posted by madeinuk
Thanks very much for your reply.

I bought Fritz 13 before you replied but I really appreciate your taking the time to extend help!

My DD is a chess dilettante with no rating per se but a lot of interest. She did some Saturday classes at a local state college with an awesome tutor who is also a rated Grand Master and she was able to hold her own against more experienced and older players at times. She will not be able to continue this in the coming Autumn because of soccer. I want her to keep her skills keen for when she picks back up in the Spring. She will also be able to use over the summer.
Fritz is very good, but if you want her to sharpen her skills and may be improve them, you should consider playing online. Computer programs like Fritz are very good for game analysis or for using their game database, but to play a real game you have to have an opponent. Moreover, chess sites give you rating similar to USCF rating, and this is a very useful tool to know opponent's level and check your own progress. You can even participate in online tournaments.