Hi! I've posted before. Short story is DS tested in EG/PG range last year before first grade. He also showed significant discrepancy to achievement on WJ-III ( though all above average). His lowest at the time was spelling and highest was calculation.

CTOPP was all high.

Beery was all average.

We've done a year with OG tutor and OT for handwriting and motor planning. We expected marked improvement!!!

School has assessed language and while we did not meet to review results I received a call saying he is off the charts in all areas and the assessment was a waste of time. smile

I do not have a dysgraphia or dyspraxia diagnosis but OT is confident there is enough testing data there to support.

We retested with WJ-III this month and things were worse in most areas. The two areas of big gains are reading fluency and spelling (go OG Tutoring!)

His results at bottom. Ed psych says no doubt now...mild to moderate LD . She said she's confident enough to call it stealth dyslexia. The common weakness is in anything with speed or motor graphia. She ask believes visual processing is weak and wants us to check teaming/tracking.
- he was 32% on visual processing Beery
- he cramped after 3 minutes of writing and samples deteriorated quickly.
- he clearly was not using ability while doing it

He is in public school. School thinks LD for him is hogwash and I'm getting bad advice from Ed psych. Laziness and immaturity is all that's wrong here. Because all his scores are average to above I am concerned I will not be able to advocate effectively.

I'm looking for:

1. Advice for securing accommodations for 2e child above grade level in achievement?

2. Advice for how to use technology to help compensate for his deficit in writing.

His scores generally compare to same time last year:

Globally: it is clear he has a mild to moderate learning disability. Anything dealing with graphic motor skills was an issue.
- overall he went from 94% to 95%.
- broad reading was exact same 93%.
- broad math up a point 97% to 98%.
- broad written went down 84% to 78%.

biggest gains in:
-reading fluency. 91-98%
- spelling 73-80%
- applied problem 82-93% (would have been higher but clocks and money issues)
- he had a drop it passage comprehension from 95-86%. Her thought was both implied text stumped him and she felt he is dropping comprehension trying to go for fluency.
- writing samples dropped a ton from 81-66%.
- math fluency dropped from 96-78%!!!!!
- he had to ask to stop the clock and break after three minutes of writing.
- all his writing samples start to deteriate after a bit...capitalization goes away; reversals pop up; some aren't even sentences; and letter formation was bottom to top on a lot.
- good news his confidence and self correction were both up a lot. Very big deal!!!

Last edited by N..; 06/11/14 05:26 AM.