So, DS said something today that I found interesting and odd. He was talking about math and visualizing and I said to him "You have trouble visualizing, huh?" He said, "No, I can visualize I just can't turn the image around in my head or count things on it or anything." He used a cube as an example. He said that he can see the cube in his head but he can not turn it around or count the corners or the vertices in his head. Oddly, he can do arithmetic in his head really well. He stands at the check-out line adding our items in his head trying to compete with the register. So just wondering if anyone has any insight on this... Is this a common thing kids have trouble with? I wonder if it can get better? How to help it? Just curious. I guess it could be nothing at all too...

I suppose it is related to what AEH pointed out in a previous post re digits reversed pertaining to "visual memory channel" That in order to be successful at digits reversed, for example, "one inputs the digit sequence into something like a visual scratch pad in the brain. Those who are most successful then read it off the scratch pad, but backwards. If your visual scratch pad isn't very big, or has a short expiration time, you will have a hard time with digits reversed. This is most likely why a child with DCD might be so much more successful with digits forwards, but tank digits backwards. Both DCD and digits backwards are connected to perceptual deficits."

So perhaps this a manifestation of his "perceptual deficits" I wish there were a way to work on this "perceptual deficits" issue - he doesn't have to gifted in that area, I realize, but I'd love to see closer to normal in it as it would probably make things easier and his work more efficient....

Last edited by Irena; 06/08/14 07:51 AM.