Originally Posted by cammom
Any "been there, done that" parents? What are your experiences with your kids who test so far out of grade level? Especially down the road when they get to 3rd or 4th grade? I keep waiting for DS to slow down a bit, and instead he seems to be getting faster. I'm excited for him, but I'm getting a bit anxious about whether "regular" school can meet his needs in the long term.

(Warning: cynicism alert) The reason schools think that gifted kids slow down or level off later in grade school is because by that point they've managed to bore the advanced kids into a stupor. So it can be a real outcome... but the question is whether it's the desired outcome. Any school or teacher who said such a thing to me would raise a major red flag. Because what I hear is "we do such a terrible job with our brightest kids that they end up looking average."

We pulled DD (then 9) out of regular school* and into an environment where she could go at the pace that made sense for her and she's been flying ever since. At this point she (now 11) will be in her first high school classes in the fall and a community college class the year after.

This is what schools are really afraid of when they argue against acceleration by complaining they won't have anything to teach in the following years.

* Well, it was an accelerated magnet, but operated very much in regular school mode.

Last edited by Ivy; 06/06/14 01:54 PM. Reason: Added note for accuracy