One thing we try to do is allow DD to see us struggle with new skills and tasks. This is interesting because at our age there's a tendency not to do as much new stuff. We've got our skills, learned and built up over the course of decades, and we stick to them. So it's also a call to us to branch out and not forget how to be new at something.

When we do explore new things, we give her insight into time investment and our failures and issues. For example, I've been experimenting with gluten free baking and make some pretty inedible mistakes. I make sure she sees me going through the process of accepting that I'm not perfect, learning from the results, trying again next time, and attempting to keep a good attitude. Ditto with a career certification I've been working toward.

DH was learning some new software and he made a point of mentioning the hours he spent in his office getting up to speed and how frustrating it can be when he can't make it do what he wants.

Now that DD is older, this has taken on a social dimension. When she makes a faux pas or does something wrong, her first question to us is usually "have you ever done that?" We make a point of answering honestly, coming up with times in our own lives that we spoke without thinking and had to deal with the fallout or made bad choices and had to live with the consequences.

Stories of famous people and their failures are great, but parents are the famous people in their kids lives.