Originally Posted by master of none
This kid is in every GT for high school next year. He and his teacher did not see eye to eye at all this year and he was penalized for being alive at times, but she insists that writing is just one part of the class and he will struggle in writing no matter which class he is in, so why not have him where he is academically better placed? Every teacher has said that. I think it applies in your case too and that your teachers just haven't had the education in 2E.

If you don't get him in honors, he will not be enjoying Romeo and Juliet. He will be painfully tolerating his teacher begging the kids to read the plain language translation, answering trivia questions for basic comprehension, etc. It may even crush his self esteem as well as his desire to learn. I'd choose the honors courses based on amount of homework required to leave room for production problems, but I'd definitely like to see your DS in some honors
What you are describing is where we were last year. My son's 8th grade H. Humanities teacher couldn't see him comfortable in anything but all honors. He was recommended for all honors except science. We pushed for the science and I am so glad because it's been his best class all year. He was dropped in English mid semester because of his writing, and I am now really regretting this. It didn't do any good, the "regular" class hasn't helped his writing at all and it's just made him frustrated.

I do NOT want him in honors Social Studies next year. Honors is AP US History and while my son would love the class discussion, I completely agree he is not up for the quantity of work and the level of writing. Not sure I'm going to have much luck getting him back into honors English either. But math & science it's mostly because his grades (in all subjects) have dropped mid semester when he started getting discourage about school.

We have already had a meeting with the school & they can't even test him until two weeks into next year. The meeting did not discuss class levels.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/04/14 10:40 AM.