I would choose whatever order you think will work best for your ds. I would also not worry over the reading questions - keep in mind that the Terra Nova isn't designed just to check if a group of students has mastered a specific curriculum, it's designed to compare the full spectrum of students at a grade level with national norms - it is designed to show below average to above average performance in each subject. It's not surprising that there are words to choose that the average first grader wouldn't be expected to know - if there weren't higher level words, all the average performing first graders would score in the same range as the higher performing students and you would lose the benefit of the test in terms of understanding where your child's performance is relative to other students in that grade. There's also a wide variety of reading levels in the early elementary years because reading happens developmentally at different ages- so I wouldn't worry to much if a 4.75 year old doesn't score highly on a first grade levels reading assessment. You might find that your 4.75 year old suddenly takes off in reading skills in a few months and overnight is levels ahead of where he is now.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Ps - One thing I'd do before your ds takes the test is to explain how to use a bubble sheet if he has to use one.

Last edited by polarbear; 06/01/14 07:30 AM.