Curriculum Compaction?

DS is at the end of his first grade year with an ability placement charter. Currently, he's in second grade reading and third grade math. (His reading ability is much higher, but his handwriting is age appropriate, thus the second grade placement.)

He's a compliant child who will do what is asked, even if he doesn't want to, with some complaints and loss of attention, however.

His end-of-the-year conference is coming up and I want to ask about compacting the curriculum next year. I don't know if this is appropriate or not. He has commented on having to do, "Long division, again?!", and this is what has made me think he really does not NEED more practice. But at the same time, I've seen him make silly mistakes after completing many, many, many of the same type of problem. (I really attribute this to boredom, though.) Assuming next year's math will be more of the same pace, I want to introduce the idea of compacting at the meeting.

What exactly has compacting done for your child? I mean, other than combating the boredom of repeatedly demonstrating mastery of a subject? How should I ask for compaction?

I'm sorry if this is disjointed. It's something that has been on my mind over the last couple of months and I'm really not sure if it's appropriate for DS or not. I suppose I'm testing the water here.

Btw: His MAP testing results will be available to us at this meeting. His beginning of the year results placed him at the 99.9% for reading and math in his grade. Our state identifies gifted children from K-12. Should I ask for a formal id if I get push-back from the school on compaction?

Last edited by Ametrine; 05/30/14 05:00 PM. Reason: added detail