Originally Posted by Bostonian
Good luck to bluemagic.

My son was heavily assisted by my wife and his two siblings on his Roman Coliseum poster. I wonder what happens to students in college who are smart enough to do the work in high school but who have trouble actually doing it without parental supervision. Is it less of a problem in college because students have more choice in courses and are doing work that interests them?
Good question, I am not sure, I think it depends on the students, subject and school. And I think this is the reason some students struggle in college. But students at college have more choice for what subjects they want to take, so it's likely my son will go into math/science/engineering. And while he might have to write a lot of lab reports, he is likely to only needs a few classes where he will have to write a lot of essays.

My daughter who is at college, seems to be doing OK with this and learned her lessons from H.S. She had an 8 page paper due for a psychology class this spring. Because she knows she struggles with writing she set up appointments at the school's tutoring center. This helped keep her on track, motivating her to have a first draft before her tutoring appointment and gave her some of this support. Many colleges do have support for students who had LD's and my daughter's school was chosen with this in mind.