Hello I am asking about another topic now... planning for 7th grade is taking a LOT of advocacy, not just because of honors availabilities, but because my son has had a rather miserable 6th grade.

Orchestra is the poorest fit of all. His classmates are in their second year while my son has studied privately since he was 5. Classmates' only instruction is group lessons at the middle school. Understandably, their level is lower. BUT most of them are also unmotivated and sloppy and don't care to practice... unfortunately my DS10 has not mastered the zen art of patience. He wishes they would care more and practice and listen to teacher without all their fooling around.

Next year when he is in 7th, they are offering him the 8th grade orchestra, which is same music, just violin I instead of violin II parts. They think it's "harder" but it's no difference to my son since he plays at high school level.

High School orchestra may not be possible to fit in schedule, nor am I certain this would be advisable because of age difference.

Is there anything that I can try to ask for, that may be a better fit for him? Secondly, how do parents teach gifted kids patience in these situations? PS If he doesn't participate in the school orchestra, I think he is unable to get state scores that enable him to join regional and eastern US orchestra festivals.

I know I may be asking too much... but I would appreciate hearing others' experiences/ideas.