MON, I'm so sorry.

Do the higher-ups who supervise special education in your district know what is happening in their schools?

It may be worth engaging them in a conversation about this-- not to get anyone into trouble, but to make it clear that the process is not serving students or families that well, and to encourage professional growth for the people who are acting more like three-headed dogs at the gates of Hell than like people who help children.

I imagine in horror what happens to the student without a devoted, educated parent. (No, actually I don't have to imagine it-- I've seen it.)

Originally Posted by master of none
4. Common core requires Listening, Speaking, and Writing. We can't have accommodations that change this. ... it was tabled til the beginning of the year next year when counselor will call a meeting at the beginning of the school year for all teachers and DS. Got that meeting because counselor said--"you really have a lot of useful information that isn't in the 504 about how to teach your son, would you mind having a meeting at the beginning of the year? OR was the counselor just trying to delay the issue and has no intention of calling a meeting?

I read this as meaning: "We still don't know what Common Core actually means and we are terrified of it." Also: "it is so unusual to have a capable student who is sometimes unable to speak that we don't know what to do with that."

I would absolutely want this point in writing, for precisely these reasons. The teachers who are afraid of common core will not make accommodations unless explicitly instructed to do so.

5. We don't give extra time in high school because the kids have only 3 minutes to move from class to class. There's no way to have extra time.

Again, this means "accommodations are for struggling students, not 'normal' or 'gifted' students." Glad you got something in writing.

she said, "you will have to fight".

She is the counselor? I would be tempted to ask point-blank: why exactly do I have to fight? Who is unwilling to make the appropriate accommodations? And why?

But yes, it's so often like this...

Last edited by DeeDee; 05/27/14 08:21 AM. Reason: quotations fixed