My son was reading when he entered K at age 4. He was immediately skipped into Grade 1. A few weeks later, the first grade and K teachers asked to see me and told me that he was bothering the other kids because he couldn't sit still at the tables, and the first grade kids were supposed to be working independently. They asked me to have him evaluated for ADHD. Rather than do that, I asked them to put him back into K, which they did. However, his behavior has been spotty in K as well. Some days his behavior is fine, while other days he doesn't sit still and will call out the (correct) answers. He always complains of being bored, since he is not learning anything new.
Too, I was told not to teach him anymore because I do not know the Core Curriculum which his school relies on, and if I taught him multiplication, for example, any answers would be marked incorrect on an exam because of the methodology.
I live in NY State, in a farming community. There are no gifted programs anywhere near me. If I have him evaluated, I would have to do it privately because I do not want anything detrimental on his record. It would cost us a lot of money. What would the advantage be? Do they have 504 plans for gifted kids in my state? Would he be entitled to an aide? Would the school provide funding for one of the online gifted programs?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.