We decided a while ago to homeschool DS6. We are fairly unconventional...we don't use a curriculum and tend toward unschooling a little, but not quite. We focus mostly on 4 main areas: Music (DS plays piano, so we do lessons, daily practice, and music theory), Italian (works with DH on Rosetta Stone b/c we had it), Writing (mostly whatever he wants, but I give him guidance), and Math. I also have a science & humanities integrated curriculum that I am building...mostly it is one exploratory activity each week and a few other things (like poems or experiments) here and there. We have tons of art supplies and I let DS read whatever he wants (Mysterious Benedict Society right now). We spend maybe 2.5 hours 4 days a week on the structured stuff, then the Italian and more piano practice on the weekends.

For math, DS worked through Singapore Math 2A&B, 3A&B, and 4A. We got to 4 B in late February and I didn't think he really needed 85 pages of decimals. He did need more work on fractions, though, and solidifying things like long multiplication and division. He was also starting to dread math, so we needed a change. I picked up the Miquon Math series (mostly for DD4, but the later books have some really interesting content) and Key to Fractions. We tried Life of Fred, but I am one of the few people who really didn't like it, and neither did my kids. Now, I create a single page of math for each day from problems in the books that draws on all areas. I can mix hard & easy stuff, new & review, word problems & basic calculations. It suits him well and he has come back to enjoying it.

Good luck figuring everything out. We are part of a wonderful co-op and while all the kids are great, DS hasn't really made any real connections with them. I would love for him to find a great friend or two, but he is not eager to do so, and I suspect he wouldn't have much better luck in school.