Our experiences:

Public school: LOVE our librarian. She has always let my girls check out what they wanted once she got to know them. If they had something outside of norm (1st grade shelving restrictions early in the year to acclimate to library-- then you only have to do a short read a loud to her to be able to check out what you want---especially if she knew family and their comfort level with content)- we were allowed to stop after school and check out from anywhere. She always had suggestions and urged them to try something new. I love that she does not like AR/limited reading choices.

** would love if they had a book club and/or peer suggested book activities**

Public library: LOVE our library. Librarians didnt blink an eye at my 5 yr olds asking for something like "name a book" or for specific chapter books. They even offered suggestions and/or greet my kiddos by name after awhile. We have a wonderful library with a massive childrens department and supportive librarians. I do wish now that my kiddos are older (8) that they had the marvelous selection of activities that are available to the younger set (K-2nd grade) like book clubs, an older Elem kid storytime, etc. THey have some programming, but said that age group (8-12) has been one that is hard to get activity on. Lots of family programs though!

Last edited by KCMI; 05/14/14 11:04 AM.