As I mentioned last week my DS15 a H.S. freshman has hit a wall in his writing. The school has set up a meeting with the school psychologist, his counselor, his teachers, his parents and my son. In H.S. they expect the student to attend these meetings. I don't expect all his teachers will attend, but do expect the English teacher & hopefully his Social Studies and Spanish teachers.

In addition I have been looking for help outside of school. I have enrolled him in a summer writing workshop, and yesterday talked with an educational therapist who can start working with as early as next week. Unfortunately the wonderful woman who worked with my DD for 8 years is unavailable this summer. The new education therapist won't be doing any official "testing", and is new to this area. This new therapist suggests I take him to a psychologist she has heard of who is particularly good at working with gifted kids. She thinks the psychologist might have better ideas of how to help with his complete "block" of "I have nothing to say", and could do a full evaluation if we wanted it.

The educational therapist wants writing samples, so I spend a few minutes finding writing from junior high. My son told me he can find me some writing from this year. Some of the writing from last year is a bit illuminating. The essays follow all the right formats but don't really say much of anything. And one of the poems he wrote in 7th grade is both humorous and sad. It's all about how distracted and bored he gets in class.

I am trying to put together idea's for next week meeting and what I want to accomplish. The teachers only have 30 minutes, so there isn't much time. There has been no testing yet, this is a how to proceed meeting. I want to ask for testing, but what kind of testing specifically? Polarbear is suggesting SLP testing. IQ test? WISC? Ask for testing with the idea of a 504? Looking for an IEP?

I hope to introduce two possible accommodations that would help in the short run. One would be more time for essays by either by giving him the prompts ahead of time or allowing him extra time to finish the essays. Second for him to be allowed to use a computer for more of his writing. His fine motor is excellent, it's just than when he writes by hand he wants to have the entire essay fully fleshed in his mind before he starts to write. When he writes on a computer, this is less of an issue.

And I hope to discuss class/teacher placement for next year. Next week is when class selection for next year takes place. I want my son to stay in honors science/math, but have no illusions he will be allowed in honors English & Social Studies. Honors Social Studies for next year is AP US History and it's clear he isn't ready. But having him in regular English vs. Honors hasn't really made any difference in his grade. I can't see the school letting him take the honors class, but one teacher might be a better fit for him than others.

Am I missing something important? Does this sounds like too much for this meeting?

I am also wondering if I should seek the outside psychologist that was recommended. Should I wait to see what the school is willing to do/provide first? If I seek the outside psych, what testing from her should I ask for. I am I overdoing it here? The private educational therapy and psychologist gets expensive quickly.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/08/14 01:19 PM.