Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I just heard today that a faction of kids and parents from our gifted program will be attending the next school board meeting in protest, and I will be sure to join them!

Puffin, you are correct...there are no longer going to be challenge classes at all for 6th grade. However, with the gifted designation, they are willing to consider placement for my son in Pre-Algebra. I assume they are making this offer because a Pre-Algebra class will already be staffed and running for 7th grade students. It would cost them no extra $$ or staff to simply add DS to the class list. To qualify, DS would have to take the Iowa and one other test whose name was not yet provided to me.

Val, I appreciate the links. I am headed off to do some reading!

Polarbear, I am sure budget is an issue. We are a small district, and budget is always a concern. The block scheduling is causing chaos among our middle school teachers, as they are moving them around left and right to accommodate the 84 minute blocks. It will be an interesting, difficult year, I believe!

Peter, yes--I am sure DS will take ANY test to avoid sitting in a regular class at this point! Unfortunately, our district really doesn't accelerate. Interestingly, my other son, DS13, is one for whom acceleration is actually going to happen! He will skip to 9th grade next year. I am hopeful that I will be able to convince them to consider a similar arrangement for DS11.

Well, off to feed the family a late dinner! Please let me know if any of you have any other helpful thoughts. I am grateful for your input!