Originally Posted by N..
From my understanding the grade equivalents can be misleading and thus are commonly not shared. Where Individual achievement tests like WIAT and WJ age equivalency can crudely mean your child is performing as an average x grader. The ITBS age equivalency doesn't mean that it means your child got the same score in this particular test as an average x grader would get on this particular test. To truly say my child is performing as an average x grader your child would need a score around 50% on ITBS for that specific grade.

I'm sure if I'm misinformed I'll be corrected, but as I understand it the information on grade averages for ITBS is not very useful.

You are correct. The above link says as much in the explanation of the NGE

"National Grade Equivalent: A grade equivalent is a score that describes your student’s achievement on a grade level scale. The NGE is a decimal number that describes academic performance in terms of grade level and month. For example, if your student (as a 3rd grade student) receives a NGE of 4.2 on the third grade Reading Test, this means your student scored as well as a fourth grade student in the second month of the school year if given the same third grade Reading Test"

The test is only testing grade level material not above grade level material. The GEs can be misleading to parents.