Some of you have kindly posted on my threads about my son's difficulties with bullying. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on a related issue.

Because of the bullying, I arranged for my son to switch to my daughter's school. On the one hand, it's a small program and I think he is going to like it. On the other hand, they are used to my daughter and she is very different.

My daughter has always tested very well and is an extrovert. She loves her teachers and is always well behaved, even though she gets bored sometimes and has periodically been very unhappy at school.

My son (6) has always had difficulty with testing and may have a processing issue (he will be getting tested more as he gets older). He is shy and introverted. He has trouble being patient if be gets bored. His teacher tells me how bright he is and his school put him in first grade for part of the day, but he only tests about one grade level ahead (I can never tell if he is showing his full ability on tests, though). He's a great kid, but he is just different and I think he may be very difficult for him to feel like he is in the shadow of his sister versus being at a different school. He doesn't like pressure.

I'm trying to help him develop his own interests and strengths (e.g., he's very good at visuospatial skills and has an amazing knowledge of astronomy), but his self esteem is already battered from being bullied.

I'm interested in advice about how others have dealt with differences between siblings like this and and about ways to help him not get overshadowed at the new school.

Last edited by apm221; 04/20/14 06:22 PM.