DS11 is in 5th grade and for the last two years the public school system has allowed him to work independently on math. He is now 4-5 grade levels ahead.

Next year he will attend an IB school that is within the same school district. He is currently taking online tests for 6th and 7th grade (each grade has about 25 sections and each section has anywhere from 10-25 questions). He has scored very well to date and is about half way through 6th grade. After he completes 6th grade he must take another exam which I understand will be in a Common Core format. The same will happen for 7th grade. He used EPGY and the school system cannot accept EPGY thus the need for the testing.

I spoke with them recently and we have agreed to revisit the issue if he is successful with 6th and 7th grade, which I am pretty sure he will be successful. They seem to be willing to work with us to ensure he does not have to endure the "seat time" to the extent he can successfully demonstrate he has mastered material.

One issue is that once he gets to Algebra and beyond, whatever he scores will more than likely be shown on his transcript. He has always made very high 90s on his EPGY finals so I think he should be fine, but there is a risk he could do poorly. He can sometimes make very careless errors, but that has gotten better in the last year.

I think this is a good alternative to having him sit in classes and repeat material at a slow pace but would love to see if anyone else has similar experience, disagrees or agrees. From reading other posts over the past year I think this is a decent solution?

Thanks.